For those familiar with subscribing to podcasts, just paste the following URL(s) into your favorite podcast software:
Episodes and Unedited Interviews:
Unedited Interviews Only:
On Being Blog:
Getting Started: Step-By-Step Instructions
For those new to the podcasting universe, we've provided the following detailed instructions with accompanying screenshots to help you along the way. So, away we go. Three things are required in order to subscribe to the On Being podcast: a computer, podcasting software (we recommend iTunes), and an Internet connection (a faster connection means a faster download). Complete the following steps to subscribe to the On Being podcast:
1. Download iTunes to your computer (PC or Mac).
2. Install iTunes on your computer.
3. Open the iTunes application.
4. In the horizontal menu appearing at the top of the page, click "File."
5. After the drop-down menu displays, click the ninth line item, "Subscribe to Podcast..."
6. After a dialogue box pops up, enter the following URL (don't include the quotation marks), "http://onbeing.org/podcast/podcast.xml" into the text area. Click "OK" and you have successfully subscribed to the podcast!
7. Click on the "Podcasts" button in the left navigation bar of iTunes. In the podcast directory to its right, you will find the title of the podcast, "On Being." By default, the latest program should be downloading to your computer.
8. Once the program is finished downloading, select the program you'd like to listen to. Then, you can either double-click the program title or click on the play button at the top of the application window and your show will begin playing.
9. By default, the next time you open iTunes, the application will automatically check to see if the latest On Being podcast is available for download. If you wish to change this or other settings for the On Being podcast, click the "Settings" icon next to the podcast title and play button button at the top of the podcast screen in iTunes. You can configure a variety of settings for your podcasts, including the frequency to check for new episodes, what to do when a new episode is available, and how many downloaded episodes to keep in your library. Now, you're dialed in to each week's show with Krista Tippett. Listen to the latest On Being program on your computer, on your mp3 player, burn it to CD — and take it anywhere you want!
On Being Podcasting Defined
The On Being podcast offers a way for you, the listener, to schedule the download of audio copies (in mp3 format) of each week's show directly to your computer. The On Being podcast is free and anyone can subscribe to it using intermediate software applications such as Apple's iTunes.On Being also offers downloads (in mp3 format) and streaming audio (via SoundCloud) so that you can directly access each week's episode on its companion website. The difference between the On Being podcast and downloading or streaming the audio boils down to one thing: the On Being podcast is automatically delivered to your computer, whereas downloading or streaming requires that you go to the web page to retrieve the audio.
What's the Advantage?
There are many reasons why our listeners aren't able to listen to On Being on the radio — inconvenient time of day, limited amount of time for listening, unavailable on your local public radio station. Subscribing to the On Being podcast allows you to listen to our program during a time and at a place most convenient for you. And, even streaming the audio from the web page may prove difficult because you, the listener, have to be tethered to your computer in order to hear it, which means you can't listen to the program in your car, on the bus, on the train, or sometimes even at your office.
Do I Need an iPod to Listen to the On Being Podcast?
Not at all. All On Being podcasts are encoded as mp3 files, the most universal format for listening on various devices. You can listen to each podcast using almost any application. And, if you like, you can burn it to a CD so you can listen to Krista Tippett and On Being in your car or at home on your stereo. Of course, portability is the name of the game, so the On Being podcast works wonderfully on portable media devices like the iPod or other mp3 players — and also on iPhones, iPads, and other mp3-enabled smart phones.
Ways to Listen
Subscribe to our weekly podcast, edited episodes, unedited interviews, or both. Detailed instructions for new podcasters, helpful links for podcasting veterans, and other podcasting apps you'll find us on.
Download our free app for iPhone and Android and stream our archive from your mobile device.
Get priority access to our latest podcasts and Krista's unedited interviews, invitations to live events, behind-the-scenes insights, and our most popular articles + blog posts!
Find out when On Being airs on your local station.
Keep up-to-date on our latest episodes. Read what we're curating and writing online. Connect with our worldwide community of listeners and engage with like-minded people.