If you're new to the podcasting world, there are several ways to get started. If you have Apple's iTunes software installed on your computer or have an account for Yahoo, just click on one of the two icons below:
Otherwise, follow the detailed directions below, "Getting Started: Step-By-Step Instructions." Now, you're dialed in to each week's show with Krista Tippett. Listen to the latest On Being program on your computer, on your mp3 player, burn it to CD — and take it anywhere you want! Getting Started: Step-by-Step Instructions For those new to the podcasting universe, we've provided the following detailed instructions with accompanying screenshots to help you along the way. So, away we go. Three things are required in order to subscribe to the On Being podcast: a computer, podcasting software (we recommend iTunes), and an Internet connection (a faster connection means a faster download). Complete the following steps to subscribe to the On Being podcast:
1. Download iTunes to your computer (PC or Mac).
2. Install iTunes on your computer.
6. After a dialogue box pops up, enter the following URL (don't include the quotation marks), "http://onbeing.org/podcast/podcast.xml" into the text area. Click "OK" and you have successfully subscribed to the podcast!
7. Click on the "Podcasts" button in the left navigation bar of iTunes. In the podcast directory to its right, you will find the title of the podcast, "Being [APM]." By default, the latest program should be downloading to your computer. At the far left of the podcast title, an orange circle with a rotating arrow should display. This means a program is in the process of being downloaded.
8. Preceding the podcast title, click the filled-in triangle. This will display the files On Being has made available for download. The program currently being downloaded will have an orange circle with a rotating arrow in front of its title. Any other programs not downloaded will have a oval button labeled "GET" next to it.
9. If you want to download another On Being program, click its corresponding "GET" button or click the "GET ALL" button next to the "Being [APM]" podcast header.
10. Once the program is finished downloading, select the program you'd like to listen to. Then, you can either double-click the program title or click on the play button at the top of the application window and your show will begin playing.
11. By default, the next time you open iTunes, the application will automatically check to see if the latest On Being podcast is available for download. If you wish to change this or other settings for the On Being podcast, click the "Settings" button at the bottom of the podcast screen in iTunes.
12. In the dialog box that appears after clicking the "Settings" button, you can configure a variety of settings for your podcasts, including the frequency to check for new episodes, what to do when a new episode is available, and how many downloaded episodes to keep in your library.